What differentiates Universal Helicopters from other flight schools?
- We are dedicated solely to flight training. We are not sidetracked or preoccupied by other activities as many other flight schools are (for example aerial photography, tours, charters, transportation, sightseeing, Part 135 operations, etc.). We only conduct flight training and are approved by the FAA to train under CFR 14 Part 141.
- We carefully mentor our instructors and submit them to regular flight reviews to maintain and extend their
instructional capabilities. Low time instructors are progressively signed off for the more advanced training
maneuvers as they gain experience. We were all low time at one point and we want to minimize the risk in the
- We have a core group of senior flight instructors to set and maintain our standards at each of our school locations.
- The progress of all our students is watched closely and we review each individual’s situation with them regularly. (all student training records are
computerized and accessible on line to the student).
- We have built a “Center of Excellence” at our Prescott location for Flight Instructor and Flight Instructor Instrument courses and have assembled
a team of dedicated instructors to teach instructor students.
- We also offer six fairly unique courses, a High Altitude course (at Prescott & Provo locations), an Autorotation & Full Touchdown refresher training package (Prescott location), three Night Vision Goggles courses (Initial, Instructor, Currency), and a Turbine conversion course in the Robinson R66 and Bell 206.
- We operate a post graduate program for our flight instructors to ensure they continue their education after
they become flight instructors at Universal Helicopters.
- We have close contacts with the major employers in our industry and our graduates have a high success rate in
gaining employment. We make no guarantees however since in the long run employers will make their own decisions.
Despite the recent economic slowdown the major employers are still hiring our graduates.
- President, Gordon Jiroux has 30 years experience in the helicopter flight training business and has been
intimately involved in teaching in Robinson helicopters since they first came to market. He is the ultimate training
professional and his knowledge and experience is unequalled in the flight training industry.
- We are approved to issue authorization letters for M-1 Foreign Student Visas. We have many years of experience training students from all continents around the world.
- We operate a fleet of the best training helicopters in the industry. The Robinson R22 and R44 are by far the
safest, most modern, reliable, and economic helicopter training platforms available to flight schools. There are
other models of helicopters used for flight training and each may have its own pluses but overall the R22 and R44
surpass any other equipment on the market. If you want the best possibility to work as a Flight Instructor after
you graduate, train in Robinson equipment.
- Our helicopter fleet is carefully monitored flight by flight to keep it in the best possible and safest mechanical condition.
- Aviation Safety is our primary concern and drives all our decision making. Here is an extract from the Safety
page on our website. http://www.universalheli.com/safety.aspx
- Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is
terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.
- Safety is a learned behavior. At Universal Helicopters, our job is to create a safe training environment
for our Students, Instructors and all our employees. Safety is our Number One priority. All decisions we
make are predicated on making, keeping and improving the safety of our operations. Economic considerations
- We teach Aeronautical Decision Making (ADM) to help our students and instructors to determine the best
course of action for a given set of circumstances. This teaches them to understand and manage risks,
recognize hazardous attitudes, to make good decisions and to be safe pilots.
- We are intolerant of students and instructors who do not follow our Safety Policy, Practices and
Procedures, FAA regulations and the Limitations defined by the Robinson Helicopter Company for our
helicopters. There are no second chances.
- We run annual Standardization and Safety Seminars for our Commercial and Instructor students and for
all our Instructors from all company locations. These Seminars also qualify as Flight Instructor Refresher
Courses for UHI instructors – see http://www.universalheli.com/Safety.aspx
CHOOSING UHI TO BE YOUR TRAINING PARTNER EITHER AS A CAREER DECISION OR SIMPLY IF YOU WANT A NEW CERTIFICATE/RATING WILL BE THE BEST DECISION YOU CAN MAKE. OUR SAFETY RECORD, TRAINING FOCUS, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND OVERALL EXPERTISE AS WELL AS DEDICATION TO SAFETY AND QUALITY FLIGHT TRAINING, PUTS UHI IN AN EDUCATION CLASS OF ITS OWN.